AN INTERVEVIEW WITH DJ, FAMILY FATHER AND BRISTOL LOCAL: AMOS NELSON
Waifs & Strays first appeared among the new wave of house-leaning producers to emerge from Bristol's ever fertile music scene back in 2010 alongside friends like Eats Everything and Julio Bashmore. His output spliced Amos Nelson's love for traditional Chicago grooves with Rich Beanland's bass-orientated background, together contributed for a unique take on house music, which captured the imagination of party people around the world, from their hometown all the way to the USA and across Europe.
Waifs & Strays announced his arrival with 'Yeah, Yeah' on Leftroom, which was named Essential New Tune by Pete Tong in 2011 and went on to become one of the year's biggest hits. The follow up release came via Jamie Jones' seminal label Hot Creations, the sultry 'Body Shiver' was a perfect fit for Jones' bass-heavy, groove-laden sets, and was included on his Fabric 59 mix CD.
His new EP will be coming on DJ Steve Lawler VIVa MUSiC on 02.12.16
- Introduce yourself, tell us something that no one knows about you!
Hi I’m Amos, I make music and DJ as Waifs & Strays, and I was once taught by Princess Diana (true story!)
- You've been in the business for a number of years, have you sensed any significant change in the scene in the past years. Do you think that Brexit might influence the music industry?
The scene is always changing. The main change has been the impact of social media and the influence that can have on an artists career. Also the wider availability of music making software has seen a huge surge of new producers and artists. Brexit could really impact the dance music scene. Currently artists in Europe can move easily between countries, so who knows what will happen if borders are increased and visas etc are needed. Only time will tell on that one.
- What can we expect from you on the 19th? Any new Waifs & Strays material?
I always try to bring new material to my gigs. I am making new music all the time so usually have some new bits to play at every gig - its the best way to test run them!
- Your label Lovecrimes will be hosting the Tunnel at the Hot Creations event at this seasons In:Motion series. How do you feel about playing in your home town of Bristol? What can we expect from the night?
Its always great to play in Bristol and especially Motion, which is definitely one of the best clubs in the country if not the world! Its a huge honour to have our label Lovecrimes host a room there. We have my label co-founder Itchy Rich playing, with label artists Adam Curtain and the lovely Alinka from Berlin. Really can’t wait for it!
- We at Inter:Mission are passionate young people trying to find our mission in life. We ask this question at every interview. What is your mission?
To be happy, healthy and have a good time.
Waifs & Strays is playing this Saturday 19 November in Motion along side Bristol local Eats Everything.